Before diving into whether teens can use CBD, it’s important first to understand what it is (and is not).
CBD is shorthand forcannabidiol, a compound found in hemp plant resin from harvested leaves and flowers as an oil. From there, the oil can be bottled on its own, or added into any number of products, including skin care, beauty care, and wellness. It can be safely ingested, absorbed through the skin, or applied under the tongue.
It is extremely important to note that CBD is not THC.It is not psychoactive, not addictive, and cannot cause an overdose.This is why it is a desirable alternative for some types of conditions that require extensive pain management, because it has none of the dangerous effects of opioids and NSAIDs.Botheen and adultathletes are allowed to consume CBD before and during competitions in the US.
Some consider full-spectrum CBD (the kind used by Botanika Life) to be the highest quality available due to its limited processing, enabling other plant compounds to amplify the benefits of the CBD in an “entourage effect”. This includes up to 0.04% of THC, trace amounts that produceno psychoactive effects, create a “high,” or impair judgment.
So, what does this mean for your teen? In short, with adult supervision, they can confidently use CBD to help manage teenage anxiety, combat pain, or address common skincare issues, all with extremely minimal risk.
Is It Legal & Safe for Teens to Consume CBD?
Yes, in the eyes of the law, a teen may consume or use CBD. The reason it is legal for teens (or anyone) to use, is because these parts of the plant have no THC in them. Please know the provenance of the products you purchase, and be wary of anything made from the seeds.
Benefits of CBD For Teens: Anxiety, Skincare & More
Being a teen isn’t easy. The combination of classes and school politics can needle new anxieties and sleepless nights. Plus, don’t forget that young adult skin is prone to overproduction of acne-causing sebum. Luckily, CBD is uniquely equipped to safely help teens minimize anxiety, acne, and more.
Tograsphhow CBD works within the teen body, understandthat the endocannabinoid system is essentially a system that operates within other systems. It's made up of receptors to which CBD binds or attaches, which are found throughout the body in organs, the immune system, digestive system, , nervous system, and more.
These receptors either aid or agitate responses that the body feels as pain reduction, digestive help, anti-inflammation, hormone production or reduction, and even skin condition and scarring reduction.
Teens may benefit from using CBD in the following ways:.
- Anxiety: As a homeopathic treatment for anxiety and depression, CBD is able to target certain nerve reactions that contribute greatly to the effects and symptoms of both. It can help regulate serotonin and dopamine production, and also reduce cortisol levels. CBD has minimal side effects for teens, especially when compared to pill-based anti-depressants. What’s more, there is no withdrawal; teens can take CBD to combat anxiety as needed, rather than building daily dependency.
Teens dealing with anxiety can use CBD a number of different ways.While sublingual is the most effective, another fun method is to add CBD to a personalized smoothie recipe full of nutrient-rich ingredients that science suggests can play a role in keeping anxiety in check. Teens can drink it in the morning orbring it to school for lunch.
- Skin breakouts and oiliness: Several things contribute to teen acne, such as hormonal imbalance, unregulated oil production, and clogged pores. CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties can help with the basics of the appearance of acne, but there’s even more under the surface. Possessing the capacity as an antibiotic and anti-fungal, CBD helps with environmental issues that may cause acne, and keeps the body’s natural oil production in equilibrium. In short, CBD can help your teen prevent acne from occurring in the first place!
For an example of a product designed to combat breakouts, check out Unblemished: CBD acne treatment. It combines CBD with other natural ingredients chosen for their anti-bacterial, nourishing properties while remaining gentle on the skin.
Sleep: Far too many teens regularly lack sleep, whether due to overloaded schedules, too much digital stimulation, or general anxiety. Studies suggest that CBD safely aids in relaxation and can lead to higher quality sleep.
Our CBD sleep spray includes melatonin, magnesium, and GABA thre other ingredients that promote healthy sleep cycles. Your teen can spray it under the tongue before bed and rise feeling more refreshed in the morning.
- Injuries: Teens are active and, dare we say, occasionally reckless. While CBD cannot mend broken bones or stop a scrape from bleeding, it can relieve the pain of overworked or tight muscles. Plus, unlike NSAIDS, topically applied CBD products concentrate the soothing and anti-inflammatory effects specifically where your teen hurts, rather than circulating it throughout the body. For examples, check out our collection of CBD pain products.
ULTRA-RELIEF MUSCLE PAIN RUB WITH CBD
CRYO MASSAGE ROLLER
MINI PAIN RELIEF ROLLER
Are There Any Tips to Help Teens Responsibly Consume CBD?
As mentioned, CBD is safe, non-addictive and a person cannot overdose on it, even a minor. However, all supplements, whether prescription or over the counter should be consumed responsibly.
If your teen is going to start using CBD for anxiety or other reasons, start with these safety tips:
- Follow the dosing instructions found on the packaging or bottle. This is a straightforward way to help your teen become safer and healthier consumers. Teens wanting to use CBD for anxiety (as well as their parents) should check out How Much CBD Should You Take to Relax - Figuring Out the Right Dosage.
- Notify your teen’s doctor of any changes you decide to make. A doctor can warn you of any contraindications the ingredients in your CBD product may have with other medications being taken, or health concerns and conditions in their medical file.
- Make sure your teen knows about the different ingredients and compounds found in the products you select. Choosing a CBD product with all-natural or a limited amount of ingredients means there is less likely to be anything harmful.
- If colorful gummies are too temptingfor your teen, separate the gummies into dosing portions. Even without the threat of overdose, CBD does provoke a response within the body, so starting with smaller dosages is advised. Note the effects and reaction time, and adjust as needed. If youand your teen are unsure how to measure CBD oil and dose appropriately, read How to Use CBD Drops.
- Don't encourage the vaping of CBD.Yes, CBD can be taken through vaping but, due to the dangers of vaping, thisapproach is never recommended (particularly for developing lungs). Teach teens about the various health risks and, instead, point them towardssafer methods of using CBD.
- Help your teen think of CBD as one of many resources in their tool box rather than a singular solution. For example, if your teen takes CBD for anxiety, also introduce them to behavioral practices like meditation or talk therapy.
CBD For Teens - Easy FAQ Reference
Does CBD make teens high?
No. CBD has no psychoactive effects, and it is non-addictive. You also cannot overdose on CBD, though it’s alwayssafe to follow the dosing instructions on the packaging or bottle of CBD you purchase, and make sure you know the provenance of any additional ingredients in your product.
Cana teen fail a drug test if they consumed CBD?
No. CBD is legal within the US. In fact, the World Anti-Doping Agency and the US Anti-Doping Agency have both ruled that CBD is legal for competing athletes to use before and during competition. Because CBD is fully legal, the compounds that CBD is comprised of are not part of the spectrum that are looked for in drug testing.
Cana teen have an allergy to CBD?
It’s incredibly rare, but not impossible. The best advice is to make sure you check with your teen's doctor, and only purchase your CBD from reliable manufacturers. Do your due diligence in finding out the harvesting practices, as well as the other ingredients, flavorings, and preservatives.
Keep in mind, CBD oils need a carrier oil to work, so even the most basic of oils will have at least two ingredients. Some of the more popular carrier oils are coconut oil, hemp seed oil, grapeseed oil, and even olive oil. If your teen has an allergy, make sure to know the carrier of the CBD oil.
Is CBD good for teen weight loss?
CBD can provide balance throughout all of the regulatory systems of the human body, which does include helping with inflammatory responses, digestive dysregulation, and hormonal equilibrium. While all of these things can lead to weight loss, CBD is not considered particularly effective for teen weight loss on its own. The best way to lose weight is through diet and exercise, but CBD can be a particularly good addition to a healthy weight loss regimen.
What is the difference between a CBD isolate and a CBD full spectrum?
An isolate has only CBD, which is perfectly fine, but it has significantly fewer benefits than a full spectrum CBD. A full spectrum CBD product includes phytonutrient compounds like terpenes and other cannabinoids from the leaves and flowers, which produce something called the entourage effect, which boosts the efficacy of CBD. All forms of CBD are safe for teen usage, even full spectrum.
Is CBD vegan?
Yes, as long as the other ingredients added are. CBD oil on its own is 100% derived from plants, so it is always vegan. However, gummies and capsules have animal-based gelatin included, and other products may include preservatives and additives that aren’t certified vegan. Again, a reliable manufacturer that divulges its ingredients and has third-party testing to verify its claims, is always best. The more transparency the company provides, the better.
Is CBD a a good substitute for anti-depressants like Xanex?
Anti-depressants can help save lives, but they also come with a host of side-effects. On the other hand, CBD offers milder mood-liftingbenefits but have nearly no side-effects. Our point? The two approaches toward treating depression and anxiety are extremely different. Therefore, it's important to talk to both your teen and a professional about the severity of their mental health and mood.
Can teens buy CBD themselves?
Generally, American CBD brands (including Botanika Life) require shoppers to be at least 18-years-old. Botanika Life always suggests that teens use CBD with assistance from their parents.